"Convio CMS has freed up our technical resources so that we can focus on more strategic initiatives. We’re no longer mired in web authoring and fixing typos on our website. Instead, we’re optimizing metadata, improving the user experience, and fine-tuning our content based on analytics. "
- Phoebe Lee, Deputy Director of Online Communications, UN Foundation
About UN Foundation
The UN Foundation, a public charity, was created in 1998 with entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner’s historic $1 billion gift to support UN causes and activities. The organization is an advocate for the UN as well as a platform for connecting people, ideas and resources to help the United Nations solve global problems. The organization helps the UN take its best work and ideas to scale — through advocacy, partnerships, constituency building and fundraising.
- The UN Foundation maintains 20 web properties such as websites, each of which had unique branding and URLs.
- The use of multiple systems meant that few individuals had working knowledge of more than one system, and basic updates to content required the assistance of a technical resource.
- Had an inefficient content approval process requiring content contributors and editors to track changes in a document, and left technical staff responsible for creating mock-ups of web pages.
- As the UN Foundation’s websites expanded, administrators added forms, pages and folders, without thinking strategically about the overall site architecture. This haphazard structure created strange user paths, and caused many visitors to leave the website because they were unable to find the information they wanted.
- Using Convio CMS, the UN Foundation's content authoring and approval process has been streamlined significantly.
- Instead of doing basic fixes, the technical team can now lead strategic initiatives that will continue to enhance the online presence and build grassroots constituency through an improved user experience.
- The site architecture of the foundation’s numerous websites is now logically organized and makes it easy for visitors to find the content they need. On the back-end, customized tagging makes it easy for administrators to group and track specific content.
- The UN Foundation also uses Convio Services to ensure that the organization is making the most of the solutions as quickly as possible. The Convio Interactive Services Team (IST) provides strategic and technical support.
- Referrals from Google’s organic search climbed more than 260 percent year-over-year.
- The number of unique visitors for one of the UN Foundation’s website rose 45 percent and the corresponding email list grew by 26 percent.
- Year-over-year results showed a 77 percent jump in unique page views for the organization’s main website, and a 50 percent increase in the average time visitors spent on the site.